Sunday, November 13, 2011

Well what do you know, it's time to start blogging again! It;s been a year since I did anything with this blog and I think it's about time I gave it another shot. I've been visiting other blogs from time to time, just haven't put any time into this. I'm not sure why really, I just kind of got away from it. I got more into Facebook and such, but it's much easier to tell a complete story here. Maybe I'll just try and concentrate on this a bit. Instead of going back over the entire year, I believe I'll just put up a few pictures of what I've been doing lately...duck hunting. Hey, there's really nothing better than sitting in the sow and wind while trying to murder a few of God's creatures anyway. This first picture is of a nice strap of birds I get earlier this year. Some good eats here.


This next one is a lousy picture of my first hunt of the year. I got an invite to hunt opening day at a refuge about 10 miles from me. There's no way I could pass that one up. We went to a pond I thought would shoot lights out, but it was a lot slower than I'd anticipated. I killed a limit of birds, but it took until 5:02 PM...much longer than I thought it would. 


Last week I hunted with Pete Morel. We got a few, but they just didn't want to fly that day. I did get this picture of Pete's dog bringing back a mallard I shot though.


I've hunted a couple times with Tim, shown in the next picture. He's a fella I met on an internet duck hunting site. Nice guy, and good to hunt with. This is a picture from about a week ago from a hunt here locally. I got my limit of 7 ducks, and Tim THOUGHT he had a limit of 7 ducks when we picked everything up. However, upon counting the ducks on the strap, we discovered he only had 6. Moral of the story is count te birds before you pick up the gear.


Last Wednesday I had a good hunt with my dog Hannah. I was trying for nothing but big ducks, but, I ended up with 2 little guys. I HAD to leave by noon, so at 11:30 I opened up the acceptable ducks to include teal so I could finish off my limit. That's OK, they taste good too.


I have been able to get out with te daughter a couple times as well. A week ago Saturday we got to hunt in a storm. It was cold and spitting snow, and the ducks were very cooperative. At one point we had a small flock of 6 whitefront geese come over the pond. I grabbed the spec call (spec is hunterspeak for whitefront) and started in on them. They circled about 3 times and came right over the blind at 30 yards up. I called the shot and we both got a goose. It was Sarah's first ever! Here goal this year was to get a goose and she has no achieved that. Awesome! Here she is with our 14 ducks and 2 geese.


So, there you have it...you are caught up on what's been going on lately. Maybe tomorrow I'll show you the highly technical cup insulator/cup holder I made: you'll be amazed. ;-)

4 comments:

  1. It's Gene. Good to see a post from you.

    She looks very happy with all her birds. Did she bag them all? I'm guessing she did.

    Have a terrific day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She killed 7 ducks and 1 goose that day. It was truely a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarge any time I can get out with the daughter it's a good hunt.

    ReplyDelete