Is it over yet?
Officially, I retired from CalFire in 2009, and theoretically, I should have been enjoying my summers since then by doing fun things, such as fishing. While I have done some of that, it seems there's always projects to pay for, or "extra" family things to pay for, so each summer, for at least a portion of it, I've gone back and worked in the dispatch center for the Forest Service. With all our moving last year, the workload I took on was light, and I worked somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 hours. With remodeling and moving expenditures/vehicle repair/maintenance stuff over the last 12 months, I decided that this year I'd work as much as possible. I worked a small amount this early spring, then went in 3 days a week in May, and I am currently in the middle of a three cycle assignment covering a LOT of hours. I've had the last 2 nights off, but before that I worked 21 straight nights of 12 hour shifts. I go back in tonight to start my second 21 night run, then I'll have 2 nights off, and then I'll finish off with another 15-16 night cycle. All in all this year I believe I'll push 1,000 hours. In July/August I'll hit 700 hours alone. The money is good, and I'm very thankful for the opportunity to replenish the bank account, but when September rolls around I will definitely be ready for it to end.
No comments:
Post a Comment