Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Catching up a bit

Well, haven't made a post for a few days so I thought I'd catch up a bit.  I had a nice little hunt with Sarah about a week ago. This is probably the last one at that refuge for this year, unless it warms way up again. It's been pretty cold here, and it doesn't look like it's gonna be getting better anytime soon, so that means the ponds will be frozen. No problem, we'll just move to the bigger water.












I did move to some bigger water last Friday and had a pretty good shoot.The big surprise was a drake white winged scoter. It's the first one I've ever seen around these parts. In fact, nobody I know has ever seen one around here.










Saturday, I did some scull boat hunting with John Hayden. He was the oarsman, and I was the gunner, and we really got into some good shooting. Sculling is where you are in a long, VERY low profile boat. You are laying down in the boat and are propelled by an oar that sticks out of the back of the transom. You slowly sneak up on ducks you've spotted with binoculars, and when you get close enough, you sit up and attempt to shoot them. It worked out a lot better for us than it did for the ducks. We snuck up on a flock of sleeping mallards and I killed 4 of them with 3 shots to finish my limit. Way cool. Here's a picture of John with the birds on the front of the scull boat.






And that's pretty much been it. Right now I'm trying to make my Aquapod marsh boat look like a pile of rocks so I can go set decoys on a lake about 20 miles from here. I'll post pictures of that when I'm done.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see that you and Sarah are still hunting together. Excellent in fact.

    Have a fabulous Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete