Monday, November 14, 2011

My Okie cup insulator/holder

So, I had a little project the other day that required the use of that flexible insulation and I had some left over. Not wanting to waste anything, and, always looking for some kind of silly little project, I decided to use some of it to make an insulator pouch for my coffee cup. The cup I have says it's insulated, but it sure doesn't keep coffee hot for long, and any help I could give it would be good. I cut some of the insulating material and sized it to wrap around the cup. Then I cut a flat, round bottom. Then I grabbed the camo duct tape and went to work wrapping things together. This is what I came up with:










      
Now, that was all well and good, and it did help the length of time the coffee stayed hot, but I needed something more. I needed some way to be able to use this contraption in the blind when I was duck hunting. That was going to require the construction of a cup holder/hanger. Since I hunt in different kinds of blinds it would have to be "adjustable" to hang on various things such as the side of a metal blind, or on a tree limb, or other various hides. I had already gone down the Okified road with the camo duct tape...why not continue along that path? I looked around the shop and found the two things I needed to do just that: bailing wire and grey duct tape: the staples of modern construction. 


First I formed my masterpiece:




Then I carefully covered it with the finest protective material known to mankind:




It was now ready to hang on most any shaped item. But, I knew there was something missing: a top cover for the cup. Without the top cover I would lose too much heat, thereby prematurely cooling off my coffee. I'm not gettin' any younger, and it's harder ever year to haul that coffee out to the blind, so I want it hot for as long as is humanly possible.So, I kept working and developed a top cover attached to the cup holder with...what else...decoy anchor cord:






And now for the moment you've all been waiting for...the completed project:




Yeah, go ahead and laugh all you want, but it works! I used this thing in the blind Saturday and it not only hung where I could get to it, and was still out of the way, it also tripled the amount of time my coffee stayed hot. 


Remember folks: you saw it here first!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is great. If it works then you've succeeded. Good for you.

    Have a terrific day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hummm...Gene, yous gots too much times on yer hands... :)

    ReplyDelete